Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Tuesday, March 6, 2007

POPPING BUBBLES, PART II

Comment from Popping Bubbles, Part I:

tammi said...
Hmmmmm....I'll be interested to see where you're going with this.I remember hearing both of those stories when I was growing up - in Sunday school or at my Christian school, but I can't remember which one I heard first. Although the story that I heard about the little boy stopping on command had something to do with him almost being run over by a train, or something about being bitten by a crocodile - I'm not sure which - I can't really remember.I'm going to guess that you heard the drunk-driver story as a 3rd grader, considering that it's a little more simplistic in theme than than the story about the kid obeying his mother's command to stop. Actually, it's not really...so I don't really know.But that's my guess and I'm sticking to it.


Funny, this was the exact response I thought that I may receive--many people growing up in Christian homes/schools that had heard the same story, tweaked just a tad. The "tweaked" facts in this/these stories are of no relevance because it's the moral that is important to the narrator(s).

This is the moral of the "Bible-story lesson," as I remember it being communicated from the narrator(s):

Teacher: If the little boy had not obeyed his mother, what would have happened?

Children: The boy would have died.

Teacher: Yes! Most likely. That is why you should always obey, right when you are told.


Children (in head): If I don't obey, I could die.

Statistic: "A child's belief system (and worldview) is set by the age of only 13; after age 13, it is rare to change what one believes".

As I said, I was in first grade when told the story of the little boy and the venomous snake by my white-haired, small-framed, 60-something teacher. I was new to the school, having attended my neighborhood public school the year previous, of which I don't remember much but kissing a boy I liked on the cheek, playing in "centers," the happy, chatty, bouncing children with whom I rode the bus and my nice teacher hugging me occasionally (even though I cannot remember her face).

I also don't remember much about my first grade year--recess, my best friend and the thing that made me panic inside-messing up, i.e. : not sitting up straight enough in my chair, not folding my hands on my desk, not standing in a PERFECTLY straight line, being silent at lunch, not having my homework pad signed, forgetting my books and/or homework. Why would these childish behaviors make me panicky? Because if I didn't do these things, exactly perfect, day in and day out, I would be scolded in front of the whole class and to me, that was the worst thing that could happen.

I was painfully shy and I was an oldest child.

Being an oldest child, I was automatically predisposed to try to live up to everyone's expectations and make everyone happy and I didn't like confrontation. Being shy made my childhood even more difficult because if I was called out in class, it totally humiliated AND embarrassed me. I avoided confrontation and attention, at all costs. I realize now, it cost me alot.

So, in my little first grade, seven-year old head, I subconsciously decided that I HAD to be perfect. I obeyed. I did not question with my mouth, nor did my mind even think about questioning what I was told. I listened as intently as a child does, I took it all in as a child's mind does, and I believed it all, as a child does.

Tomorrow, I'll tell you how this affected my whole life.

3 comments:

tammi said...

Statistic: "A child's belief system (and worldview) is set by the age of only 13; after age 13, it is rare to change what one believes".

Hmmmm. I don't know that I agree with this. Or maybe I do...sort of.

I venture to say that most people don't completely define their worldview and belief system until young adulthood - around 17 , 18 yrs. old. Speaking from personal experience, my world(view) was completely rocked when I went away to college and discovered that *gasp* my parents beliefs were not my own, some were maybe not even right, and that was ok. I had thought those things for years, but it was validated by other adults, forward thinkers, and mentors when I went to college. And that was when I started to form my own identity, beliefs, and ideas about life and God - when I was free from the weight of my parents beliefs and set out in the world to figure things out for myself.
Maybe there are TWO critical points in defining one's self - around age 13 - when you start to gain critical thinking skills and can decide things about life in general, and when you become a young adult, and you're forced to live in the world of ideas you thought were previous true, and discover that maybe you didn't have it all figured out after all.
Or maybe you're always defining it - my worldview and beliefs are constantly changing and morphing as I grow, mature, and live my life, see and know of new horrors, understand the inner workings of people, and continually struggle to know God.

Maybe I should've just wrote an email.
That was chapter one by Tammi Nowack.
:)

tammi said...

You're killing me!! A cliff-hanger!! Are you EVER going to finish the story? How many parts are there? How have these events changed your whole life??
You tease.

Amy said...

Sorry, I'm on hiatus. I have a fifth grade Capture the Flag party tonight with eight fifth grade boys, one sixth grader and possibly some sneaky Freshmen.

I'll try to resume tonight after I feed them and set them up w/a movie.

Like that will happen.

I'm also doing some researching...

I haven't been a tease in a long time; it's kinda' fun ~:-)