Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Sunday, March 4, 2007

POPPING BUBBLES, PART I

Please be in prayer for a family, Billy & Donna are the parents. Billy was flown home from serving in Iraq this weekend as his son was one of the eight children killed by the tornado that struck the high school in Enterprise, Alabama. The son's name was Mikey. He has two older sibilings. That's all I know about the family; our S.S. class has a YahooGroup that sends out prayer requests, etc. and this was sent out by a member of our class, who are best friends with the family--alot of the families were military and many are getting ready to move to Huntsville per BRAC. Be in prayer for them and all those affected by Mother Nature--many, many people in many states lately.

So, I started writing this blog in my head several weeks ago. As you may have noticed, I blogged the title but nothing else b/c I knew it wasn't going to be a one-blog, blog.

The "popping bubbles"analogy will be, at its simplest, a testimony of the last few years of my life's journey; it was a whirlwind and set all my preconceived notions of what being a Christian meant, spinning. I had been frustrated, depressed and discontented with life but I did not know why; however, the Lord did. He, therefore, devised a plan and plotted a journey, on my sole behalf I believe, to take our family to places and people that opened my eyes to many the "Christian" lie.

I believe that there are many out there like I...possibly a whole generation. They need answers to questions, but they don't know the question; they need solutions to problems, but they don't know the problem, they just know somethin's not right. I call them, "Fear Christians," and most have been burned...not by hell's fire but by hell's favorite converts.

Interested, yet?

Stick with me--I'll try to post everyday and keep the interest level high. I would love comments.

Today, I'll start with an elementary-level story:

There once was a little boy that was outside playing and his mother was watching over him from the back door. He thoroughly enjoyed the thrill of sliding down and then climbing up his newly purchased sliding board.

Suddenly, his mother stepped closer to the door and focused her eyes toward the bottom of the slide where Junior was about to collide with a venomous snake. With no time to lose, Mother quickly pulled open the door and shouted, "Junior, stop, don't move!"

Junior stopped, he didn't move...he obeyed his mother, without question.

He was spared certain death at the fangs of a deadly snake.

The end.

Here's the Middle High/Senior High version:

There once was a girl and she was good; she never went to parties, didn't drink or smoke, was a good student and did what her parents told her.

One night, she had a moment of weakness and decided to disobey her parent's wishes. While sleeping over at a friend's house, she attended a party and there, of course, was drinking.

She immediately became uncomfortable and decided that it was time to leave. She got into a car with her friends to start towards home. The driver had been drinking.

A few miles from home, they crossed the median and struck another car, head-on.

The teenagers were all flown to the hospital in grave condition and when the good girl reached the hospital and was lying on her deathbed, she asked the nurse to tell her parents that she was sorry. The nurse just leaned down and kissed her cheek and then the girl died.

Another nurse, witnessing this scene, asked, "Why didn't you tell the girl you would give her parents the message so that she could die in peace?"

"Because, her parents are dead; the car they hit was carrying her parents--they were out looking for their daughter."

The end.

These are two different stories. One I read recently on a website and the other I was told when I was in school. Which one, you ask?

I was first grade.

I remember it like it was yesterday.

Tomorrow, I'll tell you how this affected my whole life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's sad. the teenager one. make's you think differently when you know your disobeying your parents doing something.

Amy said...

Anna- is motivating a child to obey based on fear wise?

tammi said...

Hmmmmm....I'll be interested to see where you're going with this.

I remember hearing both of those stories when I was growing up - in Sunday school or at my Christian school, but I can't remember which one I heard first. Although the story that I heard about the little boy stopping on command had something to do with him almost being run over by a train, or something about being bitten by a crocodile - I'm not sure which - I can't really remember.
I'm going to guess that you heard the drunk-driver story as a 3rd grader, considering that it's a little more simplistic in theme than than the story about the kid obeying his mother's command to stop. Actually, it's not really...so I don't really know.
But that's my guess and I'm sticking to it.

Amy said...

Actually, the drunk driving story I read recently on an urban legends website, if I remember correctly. They didn't mention anything to do w/drinking at my school--might have incited us to check it out "/