Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Back Porch Thoughts

It's been pretty quiet around here...actually, ominously quiet. No bickering, whining or pool splashing. We haven't had to fill the water level in the pool for several days. Gerald had to remember to put the trashcan out last night for garbage pickup and I haven't had to run but one load full of dishes through the dishwasher. I sort of feel lost; it's eery.

Scooter's acting weird; he misses the kids. He lays around and every once in a while, he'll get up, walk around, whine and then lay back down. He's gonna' gain ten pounds while they're gone. It's really pathetic.

Porter Five, if your reading this, I miss you deeply and love you sooo much. Hope you're having fun with Papa and Memaw...oh yeah, and beehive--:0)

Mom, if you're reading this, I'm thinking of you. Sorry about all the laundry and dishes. Kiss the kids for me and have fun.

I'm sure the kids don't miss home yet. Papa and Memaw had infinite plans to keep busy...swimming, waterpark, museums, Fritz's at Crown Center (read this too). The boys will probably go get rootbeer floats with Papa and then go ride go-karts and play video games. They'll play endless games of backyard baseball and catch fireflies, which are as numerous in Kansas City as they are in short supply here. They'll stop just long enough to watch the fireworks at the end of each game, if the Royals are playing in-town. The girls will, undoubtedly, go shopping with Memaw for a new outfit and some makeup or jewelry. Definitely shoes. Then the girls will go dancing with both their Great-Grandmas and out to eat at a fancy cafe and possibly a movie. Uncle Den will probably stop by with his "big 'ol tow truck" to give Drew and Zac a zip around the block and then wear himself out playing tag. Then to Uncle Mark and Aunt Shellie's new getaway house at The Lake of the Ozarks to swim, tube and fish. Last but not least, our family's ritual is not to be forgotten--bowling. We almost always go bowling when there is "two or more gathered together," to quote the Bible. That's not blasphemy, is it?!? I can taste the Spaghetti Red that Great Grandma Ellen will whip up for them on Thursday night, her specialty. Mmmm.

Enough reminiscing. Have to move on.

I'm enjoying spending time alone w/the love of my life, my soulmate, one of the pieces of my life puzzle, a skip of my heartbeat, a verse in my lifesong, a person the Lord above formed especially for me. Can you tell I'm still head-over-heels? Doesn't hurt that we've been alone together for a few days now. Brings back all those fresh, young-love feelings. Makes you *feel* young again, as well. It's been...refreshing.



*********


Drinking coffee this morning on the already warm (97 degree high today) back porch with Gerald, I scanned the Huntsville Times (you can access it on the left side) and two articles stuck out.

One was about people losing weight and keeping it off. It stated that one of the biggest factors in helping most of the people in the survey keep the weight off: spending less than two hours everday watching TV or on the computer. Nice. We don't watch much TV but there are days, especially in the winter months, that I definitely spend more than two hours on the computer.

I have personally found, and read, that for SAHM's, computer communication is an important "must have" in their social life. For women who spend most of their days couped inside the house doing the same thing over and over and over, day after day, it's not always easy, nor practical, for them to go out with friends for some downtime. I find this especially true for women whose hubbies work in any field "in the ministry". So, are we willing to have a slightly more "cushy" tushy in order to have a little sanity? Maybe. I think a woman who has friends, albeit cyber, is a more content woman; a more content woman is more likely to see herself in a better light and more likely to take better care of herself, including her weight/fitness level. The moral of this paragragh? I'm not sure I totally agree with the study--there are always varying factors to consider within any study and I think this is one factor that should be considered and studied, as well.



The second article that caught my eye:

Free summer movies for kids. Apparently, here in the valley, every Tuesday and Wednesday until school starts again, kids can view select, previously run children's movies for NO CHARGE. This makes me miss my kids even more--cannot wait until they return home. We LOVE movies.

Summer is so much more fleeting than it was when I was a kid. Isn't that weird for a mom to say? I know, I'm weird--I enjoy having my children at home with me. I think I look forward to days off school much more than they do. So, why don't we homeschool? Easy answer. Been there, tried it, no good at it. Plus, my kids are VERY SOCIAL; it would just kill them to not be able to interact with friends everyday. I'm chopped liver in comparison--why would any kid want to learn anything from chopped liver?

My tushy being cushy enough, I'm headed out the door to Kohl's 50% off towel sale. The towels we have, we received at our wedding 15 years ago (tomorrow) and they are finally wearing thin and turning back into thread. It's really hard to dry off with thread. :0)

Have a great day! Hug your kids today, in honor of my void. Thanks.

3 comments:

tammi said...

Here's to kid-free living...for a few days anyway. :)
I too, am kid (and husband) free this week...it's been nice, lonely at times, but overall a nice breather before baby #3 gets here. :) Enjoy your time with G and ease up on all the hanky-panky that I'm sure is going down over there.
Red Hot Monogamy indeed.

Amy said...

Cheers! We should do an email toast. Care to set a time?

tammi said...

Helllllllllooooooooooo???

Where have you gone?? Are you on a blogging sabbatical??
come back, come back to blogger land amy!!